Saturday, March 1, 2014

Teaching is Theater

“Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater.” –Gail Goodwin

I found this quote on the Two Writing Teachers blog page of quotes and it struck me that I've been a really good actor for many years! I've been acting teaching now for 24 years, and sometimes I think I deserve an Oscar!

How many times, on extremely difficult days, do we paste a smile on our faces for our kids? All of us do that more than we probably admit. I've known educators, school nurses, teacher assistants, cafeteria workers, custodians, secretaries, and administrators who have had to "buck up" and "man up" when they were diagnosed with a devastating medical condition or lost a family member. Did they give up or show up angry or mad? No! They continued to put on their happy face and dedicate themselves to their art - teaching and caring for kids. This kind of behavior deserves recognition. So, to all of you who show up, even when you're down, you deserve this:

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment