Friday, April 18, 2014

Going to the Capitol

Oklahoma State Capitol Building
Central Oak teachers on the bus
On March 31, 2014, around 25,000 teachers descended upon the capitol grounds to show support for our legislators who are working toward better education in the State of Oklahoma. We were also there to represent our students, future teachers, and ourselves. Teacher pay and spending on students in Oklahoma are nearly last in the ranking for the United States. I think Oklahoma can do better than that!

My school superintendent made it very easy for the teachers in our district to attend. He closed schools for a professional day and was able to procure buses to deliver us to the capitol and pick us up again.

It was so exciting to see so many educators standing up for our students and each other in solidarity for better funding for schools! There were some great signs and shirts as seen in my pictures.




I couldn't believe how many people were there. I saw my old Superintendent at Glencoe Schools and his wife. I shook his hand and congratulated him on yet another state championship in basketball. Here are some pictures of the inspirational crowd.

Me in front of the capitol building







It was difficult to hear some of the speakers at the rally, but I was excited that a couple of students were there and spoke on behalf of education in Oklahoma. I hope that the legislators heard us and will do something about the sad state of affairs in Oklahoma education. I'm hopeful!

The only thing that made my experience less than special was the socializing and loud talking done by a group of teachers and their administrators who were standing near me. Even after giving them my extra-special disappointed teacher look, they continued. Too bad they weren't there for the same reason I was there. They even had their school shirts on, identifying themselves! I won't say the town's name, but I was ashamed of them. I would write a letter to their superintendent, but he was one of the ones participating in the shameful behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment