Monday, October 1, 2012

George Washington Portrait

The front of Mount Vernon

Over the summer, I visited Mount Vernon as part of my trip to the Washington, DC area. I had planned on staying for a couple of hours and then heading back into the city for more sight-seeing. Little did I know how profoundly I would be struck by Mount Vernon! I was transported back to the 1700s while strolling the grounds of our first president's home. I was surprised at how small the home actually was, and at how nicely things have been preserved. I was unable to visit all the parts of the site due to time limitations, so I plan to return soon.
The back porch of Mount Vernon
Gardens at Mount Vernon

 As I was wandering through the new museum, a worker recognized me as a teacher (Hmmm... I wonder how he knew?), and sent me to the teacher resource center. The staff gave me a folder of resources from Mount Vernon to share with the teachers at my school. One of the things they did for my school was send a beautiful framed portrait of George Washington to be hung at our school! We finally received it last week, and it is now hung in a very prominent place in our school library. We are just as proud as we can be to have this portrait in our new library.


If you ever get the chance to visit Mount Vernon, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment